Friday, September 14, 2012

Paraguay in Color


All right, all right, in honor of the new year…
Presenting, THE PICTURES!
Apologizing ahead of time for the fact that I don’t actually know how to use a camera. That is Aba/Aaron’s job…



 Welcome to my community in Misiones, Paraguay. This is my favorite view. When I first moved to my site, I appreciated that the view did not speak to me (especially not in Spanish or Guarani). It just sat and looked pretty!


My house:


The love of my life:

The other love of my life:

These are (some of)my favorite people:

My first host mom Vicenta breaking into her typical laugh (note the guampa i.e. cup for terere in her hand)

My second host mom Rafaela and my host dad Lorenzo. No matter how many other families I may have already had lunch with that day, if it is within 2 hours of noon, Rafaela will place a steaming plate in front of me and stare me down until I’ve finished it all.

Rafaela’s youngests, Lee and Moni.

My next door neighbor, Mirna and her daughter Milena (my niece).

Somehow, Milena always manages to find some mischief when she comes over to visit.

The funniest baby expression:

A commission meeting:

The day we made the school garden:

And, it wouldn’t be Paraguay without some culinary adventures (that’s a dove on my kitchen table):

and a side of mandioca…

1 comment:

  1. A wonderful post! Thanks for the great pictures! Miss you a bunch but know you are really enjoying your work. So proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete